Popular Posts

Monday, May 10, 2010

The Horse's Ass - with audio

audio link

I tried to lead the horse
Like hard headed mule he led me
That thick souled spirit
Really acts the nag
I would run him on the mountains
Mingled among the mustangs and clouds
But he'd rather in the muddy wadis roam

Yet he carries me well enough and
Tramples on the serpent's head
Once he's had his fill of clover,
Open air, meadow, flower,  stream
Only once broken does he do his master's bidding
Otherwise his backward glance condescends to offer
A bellicose Neigh above the thunderous gallop

Whereas I am left to choke on the dust
Laughing and cursing that which is quixotic,
Unbridled and an utterly human condition
Working out the process of balance
The struggle of life and character

Whether to tear at the wind
With the thoroughbreds,
Run with the stallions,
Pull the plow with the farmer,
Or quietly sit here like an ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by.